Wisseloord’s “Grand Dame”.
At 150m2 (1600 sq.ft.), it is an ideal recording space for small orchestras, scoring ensembles, big bands, killer drums, video shoots, even hosting small concerts and webcasts.
Because the acclaimed acoustics have always had a strong attraction for both local and international musicians, her history reads like a musical “Who’s Who” of the last four decades. More than once, at the end of a long but productive session, we’ve heard the remark: “Wow, it feels like there’s music in these walls.” But what to do with such a legacy when facing a massive re-building process? As the old saying goes, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” We did add two windows to catch some daylight, a rigging frame for lights & mics, and two isolation booths – suitable for drums or vocals, for example. Otherwise, the room is exactly the way it has been since 1978. Same great sound, same great atmosphere… However, the rest has been given a firm slingshot into the future.
The control room is built around a special edition of Avid’s (Euphonix) System 5 and a custom PMC speaker system that combines in-wall and ceiling-mounted monitors to create an ideal listening environment, from stereo to 10.1 surround. Thanks to the innovative work done by esteemed friend and acoustician Jochen Veith, you’ll enjoy this accurate, well-balanced sound from virtually everywhere in the room. A sweet spot as big as the room; who doesn’t want that?! Naturally several high-end near field options are also available. We’ve also added a spacious private lounge where you can sit back and relax between takes. With a remarkably flexible set-up – from console configuration to outboard gear to microphone selection – Studio 1 can be easily adapted to suit you and your workflow, allowing you to work quickly and efficiently, keeping your focus on the creative aspects of music-making. Choose your favorite tools from our outboard gear inventory and let’s get to work!
- Euphonix system 5 with fully loaded 6-card DSP-core
- 144 channels @ high sample rates (88,2 kHz & 96 kHz)
- 288 channels @ low sample rates (44,1 kHz & 48 kHz)
- Control surface has 32 strips, the center-section has 8 strips
- Fully configurable to the engineer’s preferences
- PMC BB5 XBD for left and right
- PMC BB5 for center
- PMC MB2 XBD for for left surround and right surround
- PMC AML 2 for midfield monitoring
- Additional nearfield monitors available (NS10, KRK, Quested, ProAcc)
- Protools 12.7.1 on a Mac Pro 2 x 2,4 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
- 48 Gbyte RAM
- 2 x 2 TByte internal SATA-storage for audio
- UAD 2 Satellite Octo + All UAD Plugins
- 2 x MADI HD I/O providing 128 inputs and outputs on any sample rate
- Clocking by Antelope trinity with Axon sync distribution
- 64 Euphonix micpreamps controlled from the System5′s control surface
- 96 channels of Prism Sound ADA8XR A-to-D conversion
- 32 channels of Prism Sound ADA8XR D-to-A conversion
- additional 16 channels of Euphonix D-to-A conversion
- Colin Broad 9-pin synchroniser integrated in the Euphonix software